By: Debra West | Category: Rogers County | Issue: November 2021
The Indian Women’s Pocahontas Club is Oklahoma’s oldest, continuous chartered club. Established in the summer of 1899 at Oowala, in the Cooweescoowee District of the Cherokee Nation in Indian Territory, it began as a ‘past-time club’ for Native women returning home in the summers from seminaries and colleges. Today, the club remains active in cultural preservation and community service. Based in Claremore, the membership’s dedication to Cherokee and local history is inspiring and commendable. More than a century since its inception, the women of the Pocahontas Club still gather to preserve Cherokee values.