By: Macy Goodnight | Category: In Our Communities | Issue: September 2018
One of the greatest treasures in Oklahoma is celebrating 100 years of healing and hope for more than 13,000 Oklahoma boys. The Tulsa Boys’ Home opened its doors on August 28, 1918 to fill the need for housing of young homeless boys living on the streets of downtown Tulsa. The foundation that housed the boys in the beginning was a two-story white house where the Bernsen Community Life Center is now located at 710 S. Boston. Three of the five boys that first lived at the home were found living in cardboard boxes in downtown Tulsa, a city that was growing faster than its social services could handle during the oil boom of the early 1900’s.